Florida NOW was well represented recently at the National NOW Conference in San Jose, CA. There were 15 members attending from Florida – that’s amazing for a Conference completely across the country. It was a fantastic conference with amazing speakers, great workshops and inspiring conversations with NOW members from all over the country.
There was much discussion as well as a resolution to support the ERA by getting it ratified by the final state (let’s make it Florida!), elect those supportive of the ERA in Congress and oppose any Supreme Court nominee who doesn’t support rescinding the ratification deadline. We will have a follow up specifically with steps we are taking to get the ERA ratified. But the most important thing is to change the Florida Legislature by electing supportive candidates!
- Florida NOW is excited to appoint Diane Lebedeff, President of the Pinellas chapter, as the State NOW Social Media Director. Diane brings great enthusiasm to her new role. She’s been doing a lot of Social Media outreach preparing for the State Conference in Tampa and has done such a great job we wanted her to continue. Diane will be reaching out to all the chapters in Florida to help with their social media, especially Facebook and to establish consistent Facebook practices and presentations. Contact Diane at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- The Department of Health and Human Services is asking for public comments on the Title X gag rule. The deadline for comments is July 31st. Planned Parenthood has set up a simple web site to add your name or personal comments. Please go to this link and sign your name against this infringement on health care. Sign your name
- Have you called your Senators? We must Stop SCOTUS, Save Roe!: The Senate Must Refuse Nomination of Judge Brett Kavanaugh. Call Marco Rubio at (407) 254-2573 and Bill Nelson at (407) 872-7161 and demand they oppose this Trump nominee.
- Please note – we are trying to keep our website up to date and current. Your input is welcome – send your meeting notices or special events to email@example.com and Diane at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll post them on our calendar. We also have a ‘Gallery’ page now and welcome your pictures – especially from the recent Conferences.
- Check out the Spring edition of the Family Law Committee FACTS newsletter on the National NOW site. Palm Beach NOW’s Adele Guadalupe has written the headline article about Family Court and the #metoo movement. Click on this link: Family Law Committee
- Greater Orlando NOW is hosting their 4th annual Feminist Cruise, this year they are going through the Panama Canal. 7 Cities, 14 days starts at $929 p/p (Subject to Change) on Norwegian Pearl Oct. 21 to Nov. 4 Bring your significant other or singles welcome to share a cabin with another single. Contact us to make a connection. We have one slot open already! Embark in San Diego, CA and disembark in Tampa, FL. Here is the link to the cruise information. Call Mary Wilson to reserve your spot at 616-666-2699.