For Immediate Release: June 6, 2023
President Debbie Deland, Florida NOW
TIME-SENSITIVE ACTION ALERT!
JOIN THE PETITION DRIVE TO “LIMIT GOVERNMENT
INTERFERENCE WITH ABORTION”
Governor DeSantis signed into law the 6-week abortion ban in the darkness of night on April 13, 2023. This law, like the 15-week ban before it, is dangerous, against the will of the majority of Floridians, and is outrageously ill-conceived. It virtually bans abortion in our state and will continue to jeopardize women’s lives, their health, and shatter families.
FLORIDA NOW REACTS
Debbie Deland, FLNOW President said, “Florida NOW has vigorously joined the drive to place the Constitutional Amendment ‘Limit Government Interference with Abortion’ placed on the 2024 ballot. When we win 60% supermajority approval, we will succeed in reaching a major step towards Women’s Equality. Without the legal platform of the formal recognition of the already ratified Equal Rights Amendment, Women’s Rights must be secured by other possible means, step by step. On May 10, 2023 Floridians Protecting Freedom launched the citizen-initiated amendment drive. The response has been fabulously extraordinary all around the state and we need everyone to keep the momentum robust. With many others organizations, groups, and individuals, we will advance women’s status in our country.”
CALL FOR ACTION:
HERE’S WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE:
- Volunteers need to collect 900,000 ‘valid’ Petitions within seven months (deadline is December 31, 2023).Please note that petitions need to be delivered or sent to a hub within seven days of signing.
- For links to download Petitions, Intake Sheets and to find a nearby hub, go to: https://floridiansprotectingfreedom.com/petition/.
- Petitions need to be filled out in black or blue ink.
- No petition will be accepted by email, scan, or fax – it must be the original hard petition.
- Only current Florida voters can fill out one petition.
- Common errors are illegible letters and/or numbers; middle names or middle initials are not problems; must be a street address (not post office box); county (not country or zip code); choice of voter registration information number or birthdate (correct year must be entered); signature (must match the Supervisor of Elections record); date of signing.
THE OFFICIAL HUB: Petition Collection (Floridians Protecting Freedom), Post Office Box 4068, Sarasota, FL 34230 and an Intake Sheet is requested.
Florida NOW: is an intersectional grassroots organization that promotes feminist ideals, leads societal change, eliminates discrimination, and protects the equal rights of all women and girls in all aspects of social, political, and economic life.