A VIRTUAL BAN ON ABORTION PASSED THE FLORIDA HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES FIRST COMMITTEE
First Nazis went for the Gays, Gypsies, mentally ill, disabled, intellectuals, teachers, scientists, books, and Jews. At least half this list is already being attacked in Florida by its Governor and its Legislature’s supermajority as they force horrifying laws onto people who do not support their fascist agenda severely impacting their lives.
When it comes to personal medical decisions, politicians have no place getting between patients and their doctors. HB 7/SB 300 is a near-total abortion ban that would deny even more Floridians the ability to control their own bodies, lives, and futures.
This week HB 7: SIX-WEEK ABORTION BAN cleared its first committee vote in Tallahassee giving definition to Governor DeSantis closing words at his State of the State address on March 7, 2023, ”YOU AIN’T SEEN NOTHING YET!” In lockstep with the Legislature’s supermajority, his devastating attack on women’s reproductive healthcare is on the fast track to become law.
- Gestational age begins at the end of a previous period and the first sign of pregnancy is often missed until 8 weeks later, after the second missed period!
- The so-called ‘heartbeat’ is a made up term for ‘fetal cardiac activity.’ It takes five weeks for the heart to develop!!
- 64% of Floridians overwhelmingly say that abortion should be legal in most or all circumstances.
- 8 out of 10 people in the U.S. want access to some form of legal abortions.
- In 2022 there were 82,192 abortions performed in Florida.
Yet, DeSantis, who will most likely run for U.S. President in 2024, is not deterred by the will of the people and the devastating conditions he is causing.
THE CONSEQUENCES OF A SIX-WEEK ABORTION BAN:
- The clock will turn back to a pre-Roe v. Wade era when countless desperate women risked their lives in back alley butchery. With a six-week abortion ban many will die, many will suffer infections, and many will become infertile – UNCONSCIONABLE, WHEN PREVENTABLE.
- Laura Goodhue, Executive Director of the Florida Alliance of Planned Parenthood reported, it “will hurt people who get pregnant … three times more in under-resourced Black and Latinx communities than in white communities.”
- Under HB 7 pregnant women will virtually never have the option to have a legal abortion since it requires “24-hour mandatory delay and two appointments” – at best, this leaves less than a two-week window, not six.
- S. Congresswoman Lois Frankel calls this extremist six-week abortion ban a horror show for women in the South and their doctors. Doctors will need to decide between performing an abortion to save a woman’s life or losing their freedom with 5 years in prison or a $5000 fine.
FLORIDA NOW REACTS:
Debbie Deland, Florida NOW President said, “Even though this appalling law will be challenged in court, its immediate effect adds to the fear, confusion and chaos so many Floridians already suffer. Because of this governor’s abuse of power, countless lives are already in turmoil. The 15-week abortion ban DeSantis signed into law in 2022 has already put lives and health at risk. How far can the public allow politicians to invade our privacy, dismantle our democracy, target vulnerable populations, punish those who don’t support his will. Which group will be next? What will being ‘free’ actually mean?”
She went on to say “We will be occupying Tallahassee city hall starting Monday at 8a, April 3, to protest this near total abortion ban. We will not be silent, and we won’t give up. Supporters from all over FL will be there and in the Senate Chamber to be seen in rebellion against this bill. We oppose so many other bad bills that they are ramrodding through. We are being denied freedom of assembly and freedom of speech. The city revoked our permit to assemble. We are going ahead anyway. It is public space as is Kleman Plaza. The rules and laws they have passed trample our first amendment rights. There is no ‘free state of FL’”
CALL TO ACTION:
Join us for Occupy Tallhassee.
It won’t stop here. We need different leadership in Florida, but until then we need to support those in Tallahassee who are representing our values. We need to keep the ground swell pumped. Speak to others, vote informed, call/email/visit your legislative leaders and let them know the weight of your concern, participate in demonstrations, write letters to the editor. We must preserve and nurture our base with truth and sanity to be prepared for when we turn the arc of history towards decency and humanity.
Florida NOW: is an intersectional grassroots organization that promotes feminist ideals, leads societal change, eliminates discrimination, and protects the equal rights of all women and girls in all aspects of social, political, and economic life. NOW is the largest civil rights organization in the country focused on women’s rights.